Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

whydoyouhavetoknow posted a comment on Saturday 19th April 2014 5:17am for Riddle Me This

I like that the ring is smart and sentinent.

naja haje posted a comment on Friday 7th December 2012 9:14am for Riddle Me This

Oh god , I'm laughig so hard! "an active volcano"!! Your story is magnificent!

reader1writer1 posted a comment on Saturday 12th February 2011 9:47pm for Riddle Me This

The Riddle house--what a lark. I'm sure Tom is going to be unhappy about THIS turn of envents.

Kyle Bissett posted a comment on Saturday 6th September 2008 7:40am for Riddle Me This

The Addams family history goes back much farther than John Dee in the late 15th/early 16th Century. The proof? A quote by Gomez in the first movie:

"We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled,
We danced the Mamushka at Waterloo,
We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper,
And this Mamushka, Fester Addams, is for you."

That traces the Addams family and one of their traditions to the Great Fire of Rome, which was started on July 18, 64AD. Since Harry's first year started in the fall of 1991, that means his family history is at least 1,927 years old. The history of Hogwarts itself only dates back approximately 1,000 years. In a culture that views lineage as a status symbol, that's a powerful weapon.

The Crow posted a comment on Wednesday 30th July 2008 4:21pm for Riddle Me This

"That she is, boy, that she is. Shall I have her dish ye up some?"

"I’m afraid not now. I’m on escort duty at the moment, but perhaps later."

Wrong, this sounds.
Reverse it you must.

I like reading about a younger trio for a change. Refering to them as the 'tribe' makes us readers feel like a part of it too.
I lol'd at the LotR reference at the end of the chapter.

Overall, basically enjoying the fic, and seeing their little adventure this chapter and earlier chapters shows it can really stand on it's own without Hogwarts.

Cheers.

Ishtar replied:

Wrong it may sound but acceptable and correct it is.   Stay it will.

Christopher Estep posted a comment on Wednesday 30th July 2008 9:14am for Riddle Me This

Scratch one Horcrux (at least; it's certain the ring is one). Talk about payback; not only does Gomez Addams, Harry's proxy, control the Diagon Alley Trust, but by his position in the Trust, knock the Malfoy Alliance down quite a few pegs. (Can you say "Indian Getting"?) And talk about irony; the house that Gomez is renting is Riddle Manor! Oh, Tom; you are renting your ancestral home to your mortal enemy! This story has more plot reversals (for Riddle) than Nagini has scales!

Dragen posted a comment on Monday 17th March 2008 7:52am for Riddle Me This

Oh I love how Lurch was interposing himself between the mob and Harry, which would make them to back off. Oh great - lol - the Addams have moved into Voldemort’s old home. Now Harry has got the Ring too, oh what fun the story is going to be. :D

bobman posted a comment on Saturday 19th January 2008 10:17am for Riddle Me This

"The boys heard her cursing in Russian, so they knew she was all right. If she was actually hurt, she’d be using Chinese."

That's gotta be the strangest method of determing if someone is okay that I've ever heard of. Great story so far, very interesting crossover.

Also_Iris posted a comment on Sunday 13th January 2008 3:27pm for Riddle Me This

Of course you can use it, it's your story.
I'll just be proud I guessed correctly :-)
Although I am wondering what you were working on, as there seems no other way to convince the ministry to do a trail. (Apart from very extended bribery and blackmail.)

Also_Iris posted a comment on Saturday 12th January 2008 10:40pm for Riddle Me This

I loved this chapter, as follows form this rather long review.

Harry was actually finding this financial stuff interesting. He’d never guessed it could be so exciting. There was a Queen and a Royal Wizard and absconding with fortunes in the middle of the night! He envisioned Charles Adams and Rowland Dee slinging huge bags of galleons into a rowboat, and rowing with muffled oars to meet a ship to the mysterious New World.

Yes, had I know that I would have chosen a different study too :-)

So Uncle Gomez is going to arrange for a trail for Mr. Black is he?

'Yes of course mister ministry official, the man is obviously as guilty as they come... no I do not question your decision not to waste time and community money on a unnecessary trail. But you see, my client, a Mr. H.J. Potter.. oh you have hearth of him?.. well he has been hurt through Blacks actions, forced to grow up without knowing his parents. Is it so strange, he wants to know what drove the man, why his parents where betrayed by one they toughed of as their friend? To put it plainly the poor orphaned boy needs closure, and this is as close as he can get. You would not deny him that would you?'



How surprised will they all be, when it turns out Mr. Backs story is a bit different. Ah poor Gomez, jet another trail he'll loose, good thing he is used to it. :-)
Pity though that the ministry decided to invite all that press, no amount of damage control will keep the facts from hitting the streets. And then Gomez will be forced to help Sirius to get proper repairs, as a way to make excuses for thinking so badly of him. Just Politics, nothing personal, Minister Fudge would understand.
I do wonder what the ministry is going to sell to raise the repair money. I hope, for Fudge, there are a few obsolete laws that someone with money wants repelled...

Sorry I got caught up in my fancy. I just love to picture how this story might play out, you open so many new angles. Which is truly remarkable, given the amount of fanfiction already written.

We clean this up, burn the candles.

NOOOO!! They will regret that at some point those could become so handy.

"Squaws are in charge anyway. We just let the chiefs think they’re running things."
:-D

I read the Lord of the Rings too, you know.
LOL

The ring was carefully stashed in Harry’s vault. It had stopped insisting that he wear it after he had threatened to throw it into an active volcano.

That's how to deal with those magical little blighters.
So why was the ring insisting Harry wear it...
1. Because the Peverell ring is a deadly hallow and has dark powers that will influence the wearer to help the ring along to get its way? So all the Lord-of-the-ring references were correct.
2. Because being a Potter, Harry descents from the third Peverell brother and as no descendent of the second Peverell brother has been around to wear it for decades, the ring wishes to adopt Harry as the head of Peverell house. (Not that there is any thing to that name but old prestige and hunted artefacts.)
3. Because both the ring and Harry are Horcruxes formed of the some soul and the ring craves to unite itself with another part of the soul it was split from.
4. Because the owner put a hex on it that activates when someone else wears it. As is implied in book six.

Horcruxes are a very handy device for not-dying. Strange their use is not more wide spread. Could it be that most people realise there is a downside to leaving pieces of your soul lying around. Considering what mayhem a witch or wizard can do with ones toe-nails alone, I'd shudder to think what possibilities arise when they get their hand on part of your soul.
Given that these are the Addams, he picked a fight with Voldemort might well learn that there are indeed much more terrible things than dead. Especially if you have rendered yourself immortal and your situation last for ever.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatus nunc.

I am wondering which head of house are going to get deal with the challenge of one or more of the Terrible Trio.
Putting them all in the same house makes it easier to have them interact with each other, but more difficult to interact with student not in their house.
Putting them in different houses will help to get the story school focussed instead of house focussed. And if one of the three ends up in Salazars Lair it might have a interesting influence in inter-house alliances because the other two will never deny him/her.

All are fiercely family loyal, and the Addams family believes in contributing to society. They are not afraid of hard work, although they tend to disguise it as a game. So they might go for Hufflepuff. Hogwards will never be the same after Hufflepuff rises to its rightful place of Lordship over the other houses.

Harry is know to be a little dare devil and the others are not afraid to follow his lead. Gomez's swavvy could be seen as valour and they are certainly courtly and honourable - abide within their own special branch of honour. So Griffindor is an option. Although someone should think of starting a betting pool about how long it will take for the centaurs to revolt against having explosives fired into their forest on a regular basis.

None of the children seem lacking in the mental department, and they love learning, at least when it is presented by Addams style teaching. They might find Hogwards deadly dull. Bored students are hell for the teaching staff. However, I have not heart them complaining about Salem. Then again, we have not heart how big a partly the Salem staff threw to lament the loss of three students. We have seen some odd Ravenclaws in the books, so they might fit right in.

The Addams don't seem to be particularity ambitious. Probably because they already are as arrived as can be. Harry's Destination might count as ambition. They are deceptive and cunning and all that though. And having Harry especially in the House which carries the bulk of the death eater children could be very interesting. Especially if you consider the statement JKR made on her webside about the old DE crowd hoping that the boy-who-lived would turn out to be an even stronger dark wizard then Voldemort and that they could unite around him for another round. Once they get to know the Addams family they'll really get their hopes up ;-)
And just to think how disturbing that would be for Dumbledore; his poster boy of the light courted by the darkest of the darkest of families... and Talking to them!
Of course starting with talking instead of throwing curses, would be good; at least some of the once death eaters will have developed a more mature view on the world, and probably realized that whatever revolutionary agenda Voldemort promised them got side tracked with the murder and mayhem.

I won't make a House vote after all, I am convinced that what ever you do it will turn out marvellous.

Ishtar replied:

This:

So Uncle Gomez is going to arrange for a trail for Mr. Black is he?

'Yes of course mister ministry official, the man is obviously as guilty as they come... no I do not question your decision not to waste time and community money on a unnecessary trail. But you see, my client, a Mr. H.J. Potter.. oh you have hearth of him?.. well he has been hurt through Blacks actions, forced to grow up without knowing his parents. Is it so strange, he wants to know what drove the man, why his parents where betrayed by one they toughed of as their friend? To put it plainly the poor orphaned boy needs closure, and this is as close as he can get. You would not deny him that would you?'

How surprised will they all be, when it turns out Mr. Backs story is a bit different. Ah poor Gomez, jet another trail he'll loose, good thing he is used to it. :-)
Pity though that the ministry decided to invite all that press, no amount of damage control will keep the facts from hitting the streets. And then Gomez will be forced to help Sirius to get proper repairs, as a way to make excuses for thinking so badly of him. Just Politics, nothing personal, Minister Fudge would understand.
I do wonder what the ministry is going to sell to raise the repair money. I hope, for Fudge, there are a few obsolete laws that someone with money wants repelled...

is elegantly delicious, and more succinct than what I was working on.   May I steal borrow it?

ysabet posted a comment on Friday 10th August 2007 3:59am for Riddle Me This

EXCELLENT fic. This was recc'd to me by my friend Icka and I'm now eagerly sporking my way through. Mmmmm, just like chocolate, it gets better with every bite! ^__^ Inspired crossover idea; and I have to admit, it's nice to see someone challenge the idea of Almighty-Hogwarts-The-Be-All-And-End-All-Of-Wizarding-Schools-- man, but that place needed modernizing. Anyway, damn good writing; back to reading for me now.

Cat Feral posted a comment on Tuesday 5th June 2007 12:12pm for Riddle Me This

"Tish," said Uncle Gomez, sweeping her into his arms, "you spoke French!"

"Oui, mon cher," she replied, running her hands up his arms.

"Cara mia," he responded, pulling her closer into a passionate dip.

"Oy vey," said Harry, putting his hands over his eyes.


*falls out of chair, laughing*

"What is it?" asked Wednesday, who couldn’t see at all around the boys and was dancing on her toes in impatience. "Is it the mad aunt? Is she dead?"


I do hope Wednesday won't talk about mad aunts, and such, to Neville.

"What happened to Sirius Black? You said he was my father’s friend, and that he’s alive but can’t vote his shares. Remus — that’s our tutor — has mentioned him, too, but he always looks sad when he does. So what happened to him?"

"Mr Black has been imprisoned by the Ministry — without a trial or record of a conviction — since two days after your father died. Some say that he was responsible for your parents’ deaths."

Harry caught his breath. "But doesn’t anybody know for sure? Don’t you know?"

"Goblins deal with facts, Mr Potter, not speculation. If there isn’t the requisite paperwork filled out, it never happened. All we know is that Black never repudiated the alliance, which is curious if he indeed turned against your father. Until someone asks him, we cannot know."

"Why doesn’t someone ask him, then?"

"Mr Black is currently held in the depths of the Prison of Azkaban, Mr Potter. It is a terrible place, and prisoners frequently go mad there. After almost ten years, I am afraid there will be no asking Mr Black anything."


"Why doesn't somebody ask him?" Out of the mouths of babes! I've got a feeling that Harry will be breaking in to Azkaban to put a few straight questions to his Godfather, before all this is over!

The ring was carefully stashed in Harry’s vault. It had stopped insisting that he wear it after he had threatened to throw it into an active volcano.


Hee-hee!

Oh, Ish, I do love this fic!

TxA_GunFighter posted a comment on Thursday 19th April 2007 5:25am for Riddle Me This

Very good.

gunny

DarkeningUndine posted a comment on Thursday 12th April 2007 4:49pm for Riddle Me This

I don't mean to be PC-obsessive, but I thought you'd like to know that the word 'squaw' is considered offensive to Native Americans, and is referred to as the 's-word.'

Personally, I don't really care, as you aren't intending offense, but I thought you should be warned.

A good replacement word would be 'chimeash,' if you feel like replacing it.

Mucho gusto teh story, though! I'm not a big x-over fan, but this is awesome. Absolutely brilliant!

Ishtar replied:

The kids are eleven!   How PC are they going to get? And the reader would not know what I'm talking about if I used 'chimeash'.   But in thinking about it, since Pugsley is learning some Cherokee, he might know the correct term in that language.   Is 'chimeash' Cherokee or in one of the other thousands of Native American languages (given the kids' location in New Jersey, a Lenape or Ramapough word would work as well).

Christina C. Keimig posted a comment on Saturday 17th February 2007 11:34am for Riddle Me This

Oh, brilliant! Now the Gaunt house is gone and the Horcruxes think he's Voldemort. This is amazingly fun!

Roberta Johnson posted a comment on Monday 11th December 2006 1:46pm for Riddle Me This

I KNEW it was the Riddle house! I almost feel sorry for poor Voldie going up against Harry and his family, but, nah, he's got it coming!

seulwolfe posted a comment on Saturday 9th December 2006 6:53pm for Riddle Me This

they rented the Riddle house???

OH MY GAWD!!!!!

Voldemort doesn't stand a chance!!!

Alex00 posted a comment on Saturday 25th November 2006 9:49am for Riddle Me This

Great work.

Faith1 posted a comment on Saturday 25th November 2006 5:26am for Riddle Me This

"Why doesn’t someone ask him, then?"
-YES!! good thinking Harry!

lurch learns new words-- haha!

hagrid should meet lurch!

suppose I’ll be able to find out more now that we’re living here and they don’t have to worry about scaring me off.
-wow. that's ironic

"Oy vey," said Harry, putting his hands over his eyes.
-lols love that scene!

Wednesday, run down and get Remus and your parents. Now.
-I like how you depict him as already the kind of 'leader'

Squaws are in charge anyway. We just let the chiefs think they’re running things.
-you KNOW it!

The boys heard her cursing in Russian, so they knew she was all right. If she was actually hurt, she’d be using Chinese.
-*laughs hysterically*

It had stopped insisting that he wear it after he had threatened to throw it into an active volcano.
-lols maybe Bumbles should have done that.

Amber posted a comment on Saturday 25th November 2006 4:26am for Riddle Me This

I love your stories and I love how you were able to incorperate all the elements of the books into yours without it being too cannon like. Please keep up the good work and update soon!