Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Wednesday 23rd August 2006 6:06am for Morning Has Broken

I adore this AU, from Peter the traitor escaping to New York to Gilderoy the auror (and isn't that a scary thought). Fantastic chapters.

evansentranced posted a comment on Thursday 22nd June 2006 9:05am for Morning Has Broken

Mr. Goodenough? I'm sorry, I know this isn't meant to be humor, but I laughed at that, long and hard. I'm not sure if that has some sort of intrinsic meaning to the plot, or if you were trying to think of a name and just used that as a placeholder, or were really frustrated at two am and wrote it in a pique of dark humor. God help the poor child...with a name like "Goodenough"...he'd be eaten alive in primary school...

But that was just a really really tiny bit of the story. I love it all. Intriguing and engaging...so close the real thing, plot wise...and yet so hugely not...you know? Of course you know. You wrote it.

Ishtar replied:

Gary Goodenough was a friend of mine in high school.   The derivation of his name from "Godunov" is speculation on my part.   The name is no more ridiculous than "Longbottom".

TxA_GunFighter posted a comment on Monday 22nd May 2006 6:12am for Morning Has Broken

Very good.

gunny

hholidays posted a comment on Saturday 13th May 2006 6:14pm for Morning Has Broken

Oh very excellent. I'm so disappointed that I have to stop reading for now. What a great chapter!

I had a few quibbles however. When is it mentioned that Mr. Weasley was an original member of the OoTP. I don't believe the Weasley's became involved until the second formation of the Order. Molly's brothers (Prewetts) were in the order, but not Mr. Weasley.

Second, it should be mentioned that Albus is incredibly unwise in his actions in this chapter. Whether or not this is 'in character' is a debate that has been raging in fan fiction for some time. Here is a hypothetical:

Snape is really a triple agent (i.e. his true loyalty is to Voldemort). In an attempt to completely destroy the Order, he sends Snape with a tale of Voldemort's demise... even going as far to smudge the Dark Mark. Then, hours later he sends Lucius Malfoy to 'verify' the tale. In turn Dumbledore outs his spy amongst the Order... which conveniently lets Snape observe every single member of the Order. Same with Lucius. Even more catastrophic, Voldemort uses his beacon system in reverse and when the signal is sent, Voldemort and all of his DE's attack the unsuspecting Members of the Order.

Although this hypothetical clearly didn't occur, there is little to suggest that it couldn't have occurred. By bringing Snape and Lucius to the order meeting, Dumbledore singlehandedly destroyed a year and a half of operational security measures.

I'm not sure if you intended this to be the case or not, but I figured I would point it out.

Aside from my niggling doubts, great chapter!

stu posted a comment on Tuesday 7th February 2006 12:55pm for Morning Has Broken

i am enjoying your story so far and i know that you said that it is au and you were changing some things but i wanted to point out that the weasleys were not in the order the first go around. interesting i agree that the canon timeline is a little impossible as written, i am wodering how you are going to rectify the lucius malfoy you have written now with the one we have met in the second and fifth book, good luck with your story

Ishtar replied:

True about the Weasleys. I missed the little thing about "1990's only" when I checked the Lexicon for Order members. But I don't think it affects much here. I used Arthur here to establish that the Weasley/Malfoy thing goes a looong way back. The Weasley sons are obviously not members yet.

Lucius's actions are more extreme than in canon - in canon, claiming imperius was enough to get out from under when things went to pot; in the AU, he needed actual help given Bellatrix's possession of the list, so he had to make an alliance. This will, of necessity, change the nature of his relationship with the Ministry and the Death Eaters in coming years - he's going to be very anti-Voldemort because he has no other choice at this point. But he's still not a Nice Person by any means, and will get what's coming to him.

Aaran St Vines posted a comment on Tuesday 7th February 2006 3:51am for Morning Has Broken

Ch.4- - I CANNOT believe you have Lucius Malfoy doing something this good, even for his own self-promotion. Don't misunderstand, I am not complaining, but you are shattering iconic images left and right.

Just fascinating!

Ishtar replied:

Don't worry, he's still a bastige and will eventually get what's coming to him. He's just being totally Slytherin - out for #1.

Jamie46 posted a comment on Sunday 20th November 2005 10:50pm for Morning Has Broken

Ah! This'll teach me to get into a story before it's finished! :( grrr... now I wanna know what happens next! argh.... :( Sigh, classic "follow-along syndrome: reader's desire ahead of writer's ability".... :( dagnabit.

;) hehehe. But great. I do enjoy the few "Harry is raised by House Elves" stories that I have come across in the past. I'm looking forward to adding yours to my "repertoire"... ;) lol

(p.s. Damn that Lockhart. >:( egotistical arsehole... Way to go, Sirius, for catching him)

Astral Dee posted a comment on Sunday 20th November 2005 9:05pm for Morning Has Broken

I liked the chapters that have been written so far, very much, especially Peter's characterisation as a spy. Although it struck me that Peter should have been the first one to be suspected as the traitor.
And Seamus is his nephew. That is a very strange plot twist but consistent with canon - his father is Muggle and his mother a witch. But it seems that he is very powerful, more so than Harry when he was younger - he turned every liquid in the house to milk!
The first impression of this Voldemort is scary aristocrat, but in later scenes, he seems to be arrogant - "greatest Dark Lord Britain has ever known". He seems to have descended into the classical Evil Overlord stereotype, not that it is a bad thing. He is still as evil as ever.
I almost felt sorry for Peter - almost - but really he should have gone to Albus. He was a Gryffindor after all. And how could he have believed anything the Dark Lord promised - not becoming a Death Eater and not harming the Potters.
The events of the Halloween night made me really sad - there was a lot of angst there. One thing that confused me though was why he still cut his finger. Okay, he thinks Harry is dead and Sirius knows that he was the secret keeper but he could have disappeared without a trace and they would have thought that Voldemort got the information by torture and Peter might have killed afterwards. Why leave evidence that Peter was at the house when the Potters were killed? In canon, he cuts his finger to leave a trace of him to make people think that Sirius had killed him. That's reasonable, because there were witnesses who thought he was killed. But why make the authorities suspicious by showing them he was in the house? Also, he leaves his mask there. Noone will find it but it seems clumsy since he is trying to make it look like he was killed.
This chapter had some action in it, which I liked. And Lockhart was putting an Obliviate on Neville! This might have happened in canon, hence Neville's magic impairment. Maybe he will get a dishonourable discharge from the Aurors?
I look forward to the next chapter.

Maxennce posted a comment on Sunday 20th November 2005 7:37pm for Morning Has Broken

great story, really interesting, and am definitely hoping that you continue to update. Keep up the great work, really looking forward to your next chapter
Cheers
Max

brad posted a comment on Sunday 20th November 2005 12:14pm for Morning Has Broken

Excellent chapter; very satisfying to read the backstory of Voldemort's first defeat fleshed out in such detail. Quite disturbing/moving your portrayl of Alice's torture. Hopefully Frank and Neville will be OK, if not Alice!

Anna1 posted a comment on Sunday 20th November 2005 6:44am for Morning Has Broken

Wow, just wow - I'm so impressed!! This is VERY good so far, absolutely brilliant! Even without beta-reader the quality of your story is also very good. I only hope it will be continued after this strange whatever-thingy you're writing it for is over.

Characterisations in this story are absolutely brilliant, apart maybe from Sirius, whom I would expect to mourn much more violently than just go around saying: "Yep, they're dead." And I truly like how you picture the Order.

Anyway, you are trully great author - this is second story oh yours I've read and again I'm impressed:)

Gardengirl posted a comment on Sunday 20th November 2005 2:43am for Morning Has Broken

Ab fab, Dorothy! This is fantastic. Keep it up! I love your Sirius, by the way, and the clever, insightful Lupin. It seems you are even doing justice by Snape, which delights me further. The description of the brothers Dumbledore duelling was delicious, and the stars flying off his robes a terrific touch. Cheers! Michelle

Crys posted a comment on Saturday 19th November 2005 4:15am for Morning Has Broken

Interesting twist with what you're doing with Malfoy senior. Be interesting to see where that leads.

BTW, Aberforth brews butterbeer? Now where have I heard that before? *smirk*

Frank and Alice survived. Probably/maybe. Wonder if that will turn out better than in canon.

Sirius, of course.

For not using a beta, this is very clean. Kudos.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Christopher Estep posted a comment on Friday 18th November 2005 11:54pm for Morning Has Broken

A shocker in the extreme! None other than *Lucius Malfoy* defects, and all because of a Horrible Little List Of Doom that Bellatrix Lestrange had in her posession, which ended with MALFOY, DRACO. I wonder if, when this is all over, Lucius will tell Draco that he actually in a way owes his very life to Harry. The chances of Lucius remaining a Death Eater now are exactly *none*. Frank Longbottom was forced to watch Alice being tortured; no wonder he wanted to treat Rastaban's head like a soccer ball! Gilderoy Lockhart starts his Long Fall From Grace, and that is because Auror Black catches him about to Obliviate baby Neville. It is now known that Auror Black did NOT betray the Potters, so he does NOT wind up in Azkaban for either that OR the murder of the Muggles, so the differences between this and Potterverse Prime are multiplying like lemmings (Harry raised by house-elves, Sirius free and still an Auror, Lucius' defection, Neville NOT being Obliviated, Peter hiding among the Muggles in the US).

Princess Fictoria posted a comment on Friday 18th November 2005 8:48pm for Morning Has Broken

Love the twists and departure from Cannon. Malfoy saving his own skin... not by claiming imperious but coming to the aid of the Order is far more believable. The Longbottoms... at least Frank were not tortured to insanity... though there will need to be healing there. Totally loved the part where Black caught Lockhart before he could obliviate Neville. And yay to you for keeping Sirius out of Azkaban as well as providing the crucial first step for snape and black to stop hating each other.

I totally love your premise and your writing is awesome... hurry and post more soon!

Zevrillion posted a comment on Friday 18th November 2005 6:33pm for Morning Has Broken

Great story. Can't wait for more.

Arkeus posted a comment on Friday 18th November 2005 4:22pm for Morning Has Broken

Very good. Much better than your other fics... i really like where you are taking us, and i do hope you are not going to have illeterateand submissive!harry....

IP82 posted a comment on Friday 18th November 2005 2:56pm for Morning Has Broken

This chapter is truly great! It's nice to see someone do some actual research and thinking before he/she starts with writing. Keep going.

The Resident posted a comment on Friday 18th November 2005 2:36pm for Morning Has Broken

Not sure where you are taking this, but it is an interesting ride so far.

xyvortex posted a comment on Friday 18th November 2005 12:03pm for Morning Has Broken

Now THAT is how a NANO story should be written! Great AU and I love the originality of the plot.
I'm guessing that next chapter will be skipping through Harry's childhood, bringing him to his eleventh birthday before the end of the chapter... can't wait.

Will Harry learn house elf magic? They can apparate inside Hogwarts, and have powerful magic of their own...

update soon!