Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

Alorkin posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 4:06am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Nicely done and welcome back.

Somehow, I have a hard time feeling 'too' sorry for Dumbledore, given his propensity for stupid 'mistakes'. Being inundated with Addams' would likely be just barely higher on his wish list than having an audience with Voldemort.

I discussed your choice of teachers for the subjects with my sister, who is a huge Addams Family affectionado. Our only disagreement is Fester. We both felt Daisy might have been a better choice, being mmore in tune with current muggles, but then she really is shy, and with Fester's effusive personality, (much like Gomez) not to mention he's nearly as large as Lurch, he would have better control over unruly students, so it's all good.

The great house-elf war, was a brilliant touch of fun. They're dedicated and devoted, and deserve more screen-time than they get.

Grandmama's arrival was the topper of for Dumbledre's terrible, horrible, no goood, very bad week. (And to think, I got to read it!)

As always, I eagerly await the next chapter of 'Family Values'.

Alorkin

Ishtar replied:

Daisy, alas, is not here, and Fester is.   With his approach to science (and some judicous borrowing from the Mythbusters), I thought he was perfect for Muggle Studies.

Ian Morgan posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 3:49am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

fantastic an update please update sooner

yak posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 3:30am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

There is something terribly lacking in this story. I'd enjoyed it at first, but lately its been pretty 'meh'.

The problem is Harry. All the bizarre wonderfulness of the Addams' and all Harry seems to get out of it is money, a bride, a mature personality, and a few other odd perks. He gets nothing quintessentially Addams' out of the experience at all. He almost reads like a bland Marty Stu character... which puts his character at odds with the rest of the story.

I suppose I also dislike Remus' character in this. His role in the story seems too contrived. I'm worried that Wednesday's role might diminish to 'token future wife' and Pugsley to 'token faithful sidekick'. It's just a feeling I get. The rest of the Addams moving in to Hogwarts just exacerbates the problem. Every character seems to become a token piece revolving around Planet Harry.

Yeah, Harry is only eleven. Eleven year old boys are weird and pretty out-there. They do that by themselves, even without the influence of the Addams family. Harry, in contrast seems pretty reserved. I'd like to see him emulating his heroes and other Addam's family members, perhaps with continuously disastrous or disappointing results until he finally hits on some creepy Addams-ish quality that works for him. Perhaps spluttering on a cigar, manfully struggling to suck down another toke and setting his fake waxed moustache on fire. Or trying out some epic body hair growth potion only to keep on tripping over it or running into walls because he can't see past his fringe. Or silently following a stoic Lurch around all day, attempting to mimic his gait and speech...

Eleven year olds do and say all kinds of bizarre things to try to fit in socially.

Thanks for the fic, it's been entertaining. It's made me want to read more fics involving the Addams Family.
---

That is a modified version of a comment I made in a readers review thread for this fic. I don't know if you're already aware of it: http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=3818

Ishtar replied:

Thank you very much for your comments.   I will take them into consideration.

I agree, in some ways, Harry hasn't yet tapped into his "inner Addams." At eleven, he's mostly modeled himself after Gomez (bad suits, fencing, cigars, etc.) and hasn't found a unique voice.   Likewise, Pugsley takes after Fester, and Wednesday mimics her mother.   This really isn't unusual for younger children, and they're just at the age when they are becoming more independent.   Pugsley and Wednesday are already more than a little upset by the parental units becoming fixtures at the school, and Harry will join them once he's gotten used to the whole Voldemort-in-his-head things.   The Tribe of the Snake will strike back, never fear!

Jonathan Northwood posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 3:22am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Ah, delightful! I was wondering when the next chapter would appear, and here it is, as fantastic as all your writing is. :)

I am -loving- this series!

ladyimmortal posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 3:07am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

YES!!!!

And the crowd goes wild! Another chapter of Family Values!

Saaaah-weet! :D

And so well done too. I don't even remotely feel sorry for Dumbles...

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 2:49am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

*snicker**chuckle**chortle**guffaw* OMFG, the start of this chapter's bloddy hilarious as Albus discovers just what he's let himself in for. The bit with Snape and Grandmamma was a very nice touch, Snape showing that he deserves to be in Slytherin. The last portion is quite believeable and I applaud Gomez' tactics (I've used 'em myself on occassion).

BTW, you might ask your muse if mine was vacationing with her, she left "on sabbatical" a couple years ago and hasn't been seen since save for some touristy postcards.

Fusion Blaster posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 2:28am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

once again simply awesome.
The Addams succeding at what they do best. Drive the norms nuts.

Gardengirl posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 2:21am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

And well he deserved such a week! Thanks for the update, it was delightful. I particularly like Gomez's advice for how to wallow with style :)

Ishtar replied:

He's an expert - he does it in both movies and in at least one of the TV episodes (the one with the flashback to how he married Morticia, which you may recognize in his reminiscences in this chapter).

jeffstrauser@yahoo.com posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 2:05am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Outstanding chapter!!!! I'm so glad your Muse came back!!!! Did those suspicous little paper umbrellas contain ideas on them???? Will Gomez and Remus figure out how to help Harry???? Will you be following the books completely???? Will Harry still be a Parseltongue after he gets rid of the soul fragment???? Do keep up the outstanding work and update soon please!!!!:):):):)

csktech posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 2:00am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Yaaa Ishter is back with more Addams goodlyness.

Meg posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 1:58am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Wonderful chapter! You had me laughing out loud at times. :) Can't wait to see what sort of insanity Grandmama brings to potions.

Thanks,

Meg

Lon Huey posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 1:14am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Thank you for taking this up again. I'd just reread it the other day and enjoyed it just as much the second time around. Don't normally like crossovers, but you and Bob and Alyx are changing my mind.

Joe Fenton posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 1:09am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Seems more of a "housekeeping" chapter, but those have to be done periodically. At least it's an update. Looking forward to more. :)

Peregrine829 posted a comment on Sunday 8th June 2008 1:03am for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

You're back! You're back! Yay!

Memory King posted a comment on Saturday 7th June 2008 11:28pm for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Immensely entertaining stuff, hope your next update comes sooner. Looking forward to more!

Amamama posted a comment on Saturday 7th June 2008 11:06pm for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Woo-hoo! Welcome back! You've been missed dearly, so I'm thrilled that your muse stopped gallivanting around on beach parties and returend home. May she stay put. *is hopeful* Great chapter, I love seeing the Addams family turn Hogwarts upside down. Or maybe that should be that they're bringing it to an even keel? Doesn't hurt, those changes. Remus brings good advice as always, and thankfully Dumbledore still thinks he's his man, but I'd say he's Harry's. The different elf clans competing is a great touch, loved it. Will Dobby show up in this story, and what about Malfoy slipping Ginny Tom's diary? Will you go down that route, or will it all be solved after first year? I, most selfishly, hope not, as this crossover is just wonderful and I want to get as much of it as possible.

So, in short: Great work! I hope your muse stays, and wish you a most wonderful, productive summer. I'll be here to read and enjoy whatever you come up with next.

Cheers!

Ishtar replied:

Thanks for your comments.   The bit abut the house elves was one of my favorite things to write - I always figured they'd be competitive about who could do the most things for their people.   I'm not sure about Dobby yet - I'm pretty sure he'd be run over roughshod if he tried to keep the Addamses away from Platform 9 3/4.   Malfoy will be playing games with the diary, but he has bigger problems than Arthur Weasley right now, and so his target will be changed.  Though the general plotline will be accelerated (they are on the verge of discovering Horcruxes, for example), it will take several years to resolve.   I'm looking at having this go at least through Fourth Year and the Tournament, with an Epilogue after Seventh Year to bring everything to a close.

Musings of Apathy posted a comment on Saturday 7th June 2008 10:46pm for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Excellent chapter. I loved the Dumbledore POV and the slow crumble of his life. The House Elf competition was great.

Thank you for writing.

Mike (MoA)

Jiltanith posted a comment on Saturday 7th June 2008 10:34pm for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Looks

*rubs eyes*

Looks again

Wow, it really is an Ishtar update!

Bravo! Bravo! Encore! Encore!

Frank Hacklander posted a comment on Saturday 7th June 2008 10:20pm for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Hurray! A nice filler chapter, setting out the boundaries for more of Dumbledore's comeuppance. Still, the interaction between Gomez, Remus and Harry at the end was very well done. Still, was surprised that the whole clan wasn't present to applaud the artillery fire...Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

AutumnHeart posted a comment on Saturday 7th June 2008 9:35pm for Albus Dumbledore and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Hey - it lives! Excellent... I've been hoping this would be continued, and the new chapter was a grand thing to read. Thanks!