Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

Kail Ceannai posted a comment on Friday 3rd November 2006 1:19am for The Boy Who Arrived

In my typical fashion, I've managed to skip chapters yet again. Yet, in true Isthar fashion previous chapters are not strictly required to understand later chapters.

Excellent writing.

Dave Harris posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 6:15pm for The Boy Who Arrived

Good start. You've set the stage well and fleshed out the characters of Vernon and Petunia a bit more than Jo does in the books.

Just a quick Brit-pick: in the UK morning newspapers, like the mail (and in this instance I mean the post, rather than the Daily Mail, the likely morning newspaper reading for Uncle Vernon), are invariably delivered by hand through the letterbox of the house's front door, rather than left on the doorstep (or as is apparently the case in some places, launched in the general direction of the house by the Paperboy).

I'm intrigued as to why Morticia couldn't get through to the Dursleys on the phone - is it an important point?

Anyway, on to Chapter 2. Looking forward to Morticia's reaction to Petunia's problems!

Ishtar replied:

Thanks for the Brit-pick.   I live in a "launched in the general direction of the house" area, but our newspaper person has good aim and it ends up on the steps more often than not.   Paperboys have gone the way of the afternoon newspaper, unfortunately; early morning delivery routes are run by adults, who drive their cars slowly down the street and toss the papers at the houses.

If the Dursleys' paper carrier had delivered the paper through the letterbox, he would have stepped on Harry.   Dumbledore cast a spell to keep anyone other than Petunia from discovering the boy, so just this once the paper carrier dropped the paper on the step instead of delivering it properly.  

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.   :D

Oh, and Morticia wasn't calling Petunia.   She was calling Lily, because she knew the Potters were in harm's way, and the tarot reading indicated something might have happened or might happen soon.   When she couldn't get through, she wrote to Petunia, since that was a more polite way of contacting someone you've never met.

Muirnin Cocan posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 4:21pm for The Boy Who Arrived

So Dorothy, let me guess this is 2006's entry into insanity???

NaNoWriMo's gotcha again?

Being an Adams myself (ONE D thank you very much maiden name) I found myself cringing everytime someone would snap their fingers a certain way... I can't wait to see what you have planned for this.

Take care, good luck
As Always,
Muirnin - Keeping the Coffee Hot!

Princess Fictoria posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 2:06pm for The Boy Who Arrived

Excellent story. I have never read this particular crossover and very much look forward to a child that would be raised in the circus that is the Addams family. Please hurry and post more soon.

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 1:51pm for The Boy Who Arrived

*chuckle* Good intro segment here. You've already got me humming the theme from the original 1960s TV show. *Wicked laugh* I still say Uncle Fester meeting the Weaseley twins may result in sufficient mayhem to level Hogwarts. :D

I'm looking forward to this one.

Wolfric posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 1:15pm for The Boy Who Arrived

Well it looks promising. I am generally not much of a fan of crossover fics but I am very fond of the Addams family so I am quite curious to see where you are headed. I have enjoyed Fidelius thus far and I liked After the Fall so any further progress on those stories would also be greatfully received as well. Thank you, Wolfric

Robert Peeples posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 12:09pm for The Boy Who Arrived

Very cool concept, I like where this could go.

Musings of Apathy posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 11:45am for The Boy Who Arrived

I love the twist that you put where Harry is dismembering hte morning paper and scattering it to the wind. It seems to make him fit more with the Addams family structure than plain old Harry would.

Excellent job. I'm glad that you are tackling this challenge.

Mike (MoA)

Ishtar replied:

Would be a twist if I'd intended it; I was just picturing what happens when you give a bored toddler a newspaper ... Front page goes in the rose bush, adverts in the perennial border, the sporting news blowing down the street ... I figure most of Privet Drive was wearing Vernon's newspaper that day ...

Brightly posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 11:24am for The Boy Who Arrived

i have this vision of harry being raised with wednesday and pugsley and i can't help but laugh maniacly at what that harry would do when faced with dumbledore's incessant cheerfulness.

Shawn Pickett posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 10:27am for The Boy Who Arrived

An interesting start. I'm curious to see how it shapes up from here.

Jamie46 posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 10:10am for The Boy Who Arrived

hmmmm, I like it. :) "The Addams Family" I presumed, yes? :-D Kudos to me for getting it from "Morticia" before I read "Addams"... althouhg, really, how many times do you hear that name? ;) hahaha. Ooooh, Harry raised by the Addams Family! :-D hehehehe, I've never read one of these before!! I'm all excited! Normally I never beg for more, but this story has me all excited and I want to know more more more! ;) hehehe, so *ahem* please write mroe when you're able, but please excuse me if I do hope that "able" is soon. ;) hehehe. Great start, though, you really had me going for most of the chapter where on earth you were headed with that. :) Kudos.

Ben Laird posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 8:52am for The Boy Who Arrived

Like it so far. Morticia's surname wouldn't happen to be Addams perchance would it?

Ishtar replied:

Of course it is.   Says so right in the story.   Addams is the name on the envelope, Petunia confirms it's from her cousin Morticia.

314159 posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 8:38am for The Boy Who Arrived

An intriguing start. This promises to be a truly enthralling story.

Thanks.

DarQuing posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 7:52am for The Boy Who Arrived

*hums the Addams family theme song* This should be an interesting cross-over! :D

Ishtar replied:

Now you've got me trying to figure out how the Addams Family Theme goes together with Hedwig's Theme.   It sounds really weird in my head ...

Bobmin356 posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 7:38am for The Boy Who Arrived

The problem with including the tarot and NOT giving an explanation is this chapter now contains a HUGE section which makes absolutely no sense. I'm sure you researched the layout and meanings of the cards extensively, but because you didn't include what it meant, I'm sure most people simply skimmed it and shrugged and said "Thats nice, but can we get on with the story?"

I know thats what I said. WIthout an explanation, it's just gibberish, you could have put any card in any order you wanted. I'd consider either putting in a partial explanation, or pulling the section. Personally I'd be in favor of a partial, but don't show the final cards, only her reaction to them. Just a suggestion.

Ishtar replied:

It's only three paragraphs.     The rest of the passage is stage-dressing and atmosphere, and gives some sense of the way Morticia lives.  

If you want to look them up, the meanings of all the cards are at http://www.learntarot.com/cards.htm  .   Morticia is an intuitive reader, so there is no formal layout (i.e., I didn't feel like taking the time to work out a Celtic Cross or Pyramid  spread for the reading).   I'll probably put an explanation at the end of the story.

zac posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 7:01am for The Boy Who Arrived

This sounds like a brilliant idea. is this a entry for NaNoWriMo?

Ishtar replied:

Yes, it is.   I'm going to try to keep this one under control so it stands a chance of actually being finished by the end of the month.

Chris1 posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 5:03am for The Boy Who Arrived

Nice chapter, can't wait to see more.

I'm too tired now to make a more coherent review, so this will have to do :)

I like the change of tone from the beginning of the chapter to the end - from the dark aura of the Addams household to the slightly humorous writing while Harry was at the Dursleys. :)

Can't wait to see what happens next!

Chris

mytryk posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 4:36am for The Boy Who Arrived

Great start. Hope you update soon. Have always loved Addams family crossovers and there are so few out there.

loralee posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 3:51am for The Boy Who Arrived

Wonderful beginning. Glad you decided to post it as you write it.

Beau Wolff posted a comment on Thursday 2nd November 2006 3:50am for The Boy Who Arrived

Good to see you writing again, and--even with the cards themselves--I can't wait to see where this leads ...