Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

Teresa Lynne posted a comment on Saturday 4th November 2006 11:28am for The Contract

Ah.....another excellent chapter!!! Vernon had better watch out, Petunia seemed to like Gomez's flirtation! She might begin hinting that he should be a little more romantic and that they should have a night out since she has just the dress for it! Chuckles...I think that if Hagrid delivers Harry's letter as he does in canon he'll get along quite well with the Addams.....after all they have interesting hobbies and pets! He'd like the Munsters too, and he'd adore their pet dragon Spot! I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Mongo posted a comment on Saturday 4th November 2006 11:24am for The Contract

I believe that there was a misattributed line:

"Betrothal? But he’s far too young…"

"It’s the safest way," said Petunia.



Shouldn't that be Morticia stating that betrothal is the safest way?

In the TV series, Grandmama brewed potions and could fly on a broom -- she sounds awfully close to an HP-style witch to me. Maybe they simply choose not to consider themselves part of the wizarding world, as they seem to think that their family is perfectly normal (rather like the Dursleys do, in fact).

In spite of their eccentricities, Harry should be MUCH happier in his new house, as one thing that the Addamses have in abundance is love (in fact, there is a fairly famous quote from the time of the original TV series, that the Addams family was the only one on TV where you could believe that the husband and wife would be likely -- indeed, eager -- to have numerous children). I personally consider the Addamses to be a much healthier and happier family than the Dursleys ever were.

Ishtar replied:

Whoopsie!   I'll have to go fix that.   Thank you.

In future chapters, there will be further discussion of exactly what the Addams Family is.   In HP canon, there's no indication that Squibs can't use magical items, and apparently Arabella Figg functions well enough in Wizarding society that she is a member of the Order of the Phoenix.   So I believe that Squibs are perfectly capable of working with magic, they just don't have what it takes to cast the wanded magics.   Now, if you look at the Hogwarts curriculum, out of the twelve classes, only three absolutely  require wands (Charms, Transfiguration and DADA) and even DADA didn't require one until third year (Moony's boggart lesson was the first "practical" lesson they'd had.   It's not unreasonable, then, to think that people like Grandmama and Morticia do just fine with the magical specialties that don't require magic.   Grandmama prepares potions and reads fortunes.   Morticia, in Family Values, is an expert at Divinations and Herbology.   Gomez and Fester have other specialties that will come to light as the story progresses.   So many family members have things they can teach Harry outside the Hogwarts curriculum, and he will arrive at school well versed in the non-wanded subjects, at least.

You have your finger right on the button regarding the Family's love.   They are also dangerous.   And there are a lot of them.   And some of them have special abilities.  And they're notoriously difficult to kill.   So ... if you have Voldemort and a bunch of Death Eaters vs. an equal number of Addamses , with a few OotP members, a Harry who will fight to the death for people he loves, and Pugsley with a cannon., the Death Eaters don't stand a chance.  

314159 posted a comment on Saturday 4th November 2006 11:14am for The Contract

Every chapter is more and more impressive. In every scene, I can see and hear Anjelica Hustons' Morticia and Raul Julias' Gomez. Looking forward to more.

Jake Anderson posted a comment on Saturday 4th November 2006 11:10am for The Contract

I was hoping for creepy and cooky and you threw in ooky as a bonus. great fic.

dogbertcarroll posted a comment on Saturday 4th November 2006 10:54am for The Contract

Excellent. Loved Morticia's explanation. I have to say I really like this crossover.

Shawn Pickett posted a comment on Saturday 4th November 2006 10:44am for The Contract

Quite nicely done. An interesting chapter that sets the stage quite well for what we should expect of an 11 year old Harry ready to head to Hogwarts. I'd really like to see a 15 year old Harry and family confronted with Fudge's machinations and Umbridge's torture. At the very least, I expect Umbridge would get an excellent education on real torture.

Alex00 posted a comment on Saturday 4th November 2006 10:30am for The Contract

Good job.

Gardengirl posted a comment on Saturday 4th November 2006 10:30am for The Contract

Woo hoo! I am loving it!

Sean Dillon posted a comment on Saturday 4th November 2006 10:29am for The Contract

Poor Albus. Out of his office when the transfer took place. Will Mrs Figg still be detailed to Surrey?