Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

jb238 posted a comment on Wednesday 22nd February 2006 4:59am for True Colours

I like Harry being a proud Hufflepuff and still having the wits of a Slytherin. Highly amusing prevention of the duel between Draco and Ron. Ingenious idee terminating spells to change colors on robes. I think as a Hufflepuff he would be very understanding of animals, maybe you could feature more animal friends. I also like Snape beeing strict but fair when he sees Harry respecting his work and showing a real interest.

tracy hill posted a comment on Sunday 19th February 2006 8:31am for True Colours

this is really good. it so closely could have happened!! if just a few things changed in the books this could be the result.
looking forward to the next installment.
tracy

Gioia posted a comment on Saturday 18th February 2006 2:00pm for True Colours

Just discovered your fic and I'm very much enjoying it! When I saw you had put Harry in a house other than Gryffindor, I initially groaned, as any other fic I've ever seen do that has then ventured so far into AU territory that the characters no longer resemble their canon counterparts. However, you've done an admirable job of keeping Harry canon-ish while placing him in different circumstances. Great job! I look forward to seeing more.

Voldemort is Dead posted a comment on Saturday 18th February 2006 3:55am for True Colours

This is one of the better stories I have read! I really hope you keep on updating.

timte2002 posted a comment on Thursday 16th February 2006 4:39am for True Colours

A very nice chapter and I look forward to future ones. I really admire how a lot of Harry's attitude can be explained by having Peter (who's basically a good guy, but forced to do bad things; just like he knew he would) as a parental figure while he's growing up. I can't wait to see how you would handle his reintroduction to society at large (or any unreasonable facsimile thereof).

I do wonder if Hermione's going to point out that muggle electronic monitoring devices won't work when they all have proof positive that not all muggle electronics (I think the small cameras have some electronics in it?) is rendered useless at the school.

I also hope that Harry will not out-Hermione the original. Maybe it's just me, but I've been getting the impression for the past few chapters that those two share quite a bit of traits, if at different quantities.

I'll shut up now and just enjoy your work. ;)

Ishtar replied:

This is '91-before electronic cameras really became common. The one Tracey has is one of those little "spy cameras" they used to sell that uses regular film - which does work in Hogwarts. Harry is a bit more studious here than he is in canon; he's been encouraged to be in early tutoring with Peter, and he doesn't have Ron to hold him back with wilful laziness. He's still not in Hermione's league, though, especially once she gets her teeth in the bit as far as magic stuff is concerned. Harry may be teaching her basic things about magic (like using Snape's book), but once she's got the basics figured out, she's going to be off like a shot.

ShadeHawk posted a comment on Wednesday 15th February 2006 5:58pm for True Colours

Very nice story, and very A.U.-ish. Please do write next chapter.

Aaran St Vines posted a comment on Wednesday 15th February 2006 1:10am for True Colours

Your creativity for pranks rivals the twins and the Marauders. Terrific.

Harry's negotiation of the Weasley/Malfoy duel was brilliant. Slytherin side showing there, for very Hufflepuff reasons.

The flying lesson was great also. I had not even considered that Harry would have to at least fly in another direction to be seen by his Head of House.

The very different approach to Halloween was also fascinating.

Great work!

Jay-F posted a comment on Tuesday 14th February 2006 2:39pm for True Colours

good story, this story seems to be shaping in such a way that snake magic could go well with the theme, i have seen that done in many ways, one that i thought was good was being able to chanel spels through words said in parsel toung, basicaly wandless magic except that you are still using a focus, also have it be more powerfull in the dark arts and have a few spells that cannot be done other wise, just a fun idea.
Thanks for wrritng,
Jay

Nanio posted a comment on Monday 13th February 2006 5:27pm for True Colours

I like it, although there's not much else I can say. The decision to put in a chimaera is really cool, and gives a nice twist on things. Plus, the whole Halloween dinner fiasco was incredibly funny and inspirational in its own way. I really did enjoy it.

Donald McLeod posted a comment on Monday 13th February 2006 1:47am for True Colours

It's difernt, fresh way of looking at Harry and the house he's in (Hufflepuffs). A Ravensclaw read. thank you.

brad posted a comment on Sunday 12th February 2006 8:37pm for True Colours

This is a good/fun story ... before reading this new chapter I intended to quickly skim the previous one but found myself perusing it again in its entirety. Likewise I enjoyed reading of Harry's recent adventures in this one.

*Loved* Harry's rescue of Hermione. Catching her in her arms, her clutching hold of him as he flew her to safety ... awwww. Okay, by default I'm a H/Hr man, and I know they're only eleven, but it's still a cute image. If you *were* writing a romance, or if this story was on Portkey, I'd be jumping up and down in the expectation that this event would comprise a kernel about which a relationship could crystalise. Oh well. It was still very nice. And independent of the romantic overtones - or inclinations of the reader! - it's always good to have Harry act as the shining knight, coming to the rescue. Much more impressive to save the life of one of his classmates rather than a rememberall at his first flying lesson.

I'm totally at a loss as to the multiple poisons utilised at the feast. I guess Quirrel's behind it all?

In canon the guardian of the stone - Fluffy - was a three-headed dog, wasn't he? Or am I getting mixed up with the movie (if it was different)? If it wasn't a chimaera - and I'm pretty sure it wasn't - what changed in this new AU? I guess Harry said or did something in an earlier chapter which I've forgotten?

Enjoyable chapter, thanks!

Ishtar replied:

In the book as in the movie, they used Fluffy, the three-headed dog. I have used a chimaera simply because people are making slightly different decisions. Not all the changes relate to things that Harry says or does. For example, the stone is hidden at the top of a tower instead of in the gauntlet in the basement, and that was entirely Dumbledore's decision, not relating to Harry in any way. The challenges will be different, too. This is largely because I didn't want to be boring by using the same old JKR challenges that every rewriter uses, and partly because I'm taking things that JKR didn't even mention until later in the series and blending them into the narrative differently. Examples are the prophecy, Professor Kettleburn (who was only mentioned in canon in Book 3 to explain why Hagrid suddenly became a Professor, but I certainly think he would have been asked to provide a guardian, hence the chimaera) and, eventually, horcruxes. You may have noted I alluded to Snape's half-blood status in an earlier chapter.

As for the poisons, Quirrell was a) staging a major distraction as in canon and b) attempting to render Dumbledore and Harry insane while c) framing Snape for it, thus taking out all three of the people his Master is most ticked off at. Much cleverer than simply letting a troll in to wander around doing random damage.

And don't discount Fluffy just yet. They are going to have to replace the chimaera. There will also be ramifications of the rescue. For example, I haven't shown yet just what Ron said to get Hermione (and Tracey) so upset.

AmeSuisei/AdronTaltos/CarlOort posted a comment on Sunday 12th February 2006 12:20pm for True Colours

I've been waiting for this chapter since you added the quote about ducks to your sig..
bout time.. :-p

Ishtar replied:

That was my husband's sig, actually. He wanted to tease people.

MononWalker posted a comment on Sunday 12th February 2006 12:13pm for True Colours

Very interesting chapter, Dorothy. I like how you are subtly (and not to subtly) altering canon and yet still telling the same tale.

"But I don't want to be an avacado animagus" has got to be my favorite bit.

Keep up the great work!

Ishtar replied:

Pool little Cho, not wanting to be an avocado. Can't say I blame her, actually. Wonder if anyone will tell her an avocado isn't an animal?

Arkeus posted a comment on Saturday 11th February 2006 9:26pm for True Colours

hum, interesting. i am a bit miffled about your treatment of hermione, but that's becausei am biased toward her :-)
so good work, and i hope you continue :-)

Alex00 posted a comment on Saturday 11th February 2006 5:25pm for True Colours

awsome story i cant wait for more

Fate posted a comment on Saturday 11th February 2006 3:45pm for True Colours

This story is excellant!!!
And wonderfully written!
Can't wait for more!!

atlantis-rob posted a comment on Saturday 11th February 2006 9:32am for True Colours

Wow! And Wow again! That was a kicking chapter, the last bit with the feast and all the crazyness was great! Excellent job on the change in the quirell/harry bit that was awesome for sure. The prank startup was also great especially the robe color changing one! Excellent work D!

Bells posted a comment on Saturday 11th February 2006 6:49am for True Colours

i love this story. its a very interesting plot line, especially with harry in hufflepuff! i thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and look forward to your next update!

Joel posted a comment on Saturday 11th February 2006 12:31am for True Colours

Great part! Love the variations on Sorcerer's Stone. Could have done without the dream sequences, but that's a personal thing I have in general that doesn't reflect on you. I like the loved!Harry you're writing: there's enough of canon!Harry in there that he's plausible, but really he's a good extrapolation of the caring influences in your!Harry's youth. Love the update.

Prince Charon posted a comment on Friday 10th February 2006 11:46pm for True Colours

Oh, dear, I think the senior Marauders will be visiting Hogwarts.

Very interesting part.

Thank you for the update.

More soon, please.