Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

bookaholic_au posted a comment on Monday 1st October 2007 9:54am for Things Are Seldom What They Seem

Great story - just, as I understand, chamomile tea is an American thing.

Ishtar replied:

Americans are unusual in that they drink it routinely as a beverage.   (I can't stand the stuff myself.)   However, chamomile tea is a medicinal treatment that has been used in Europe for hundreds of years and in the Middle East for thousands.   JKR has established that well-known medicinal herbs are used in the wizarding world (from mentions of aconite, wormwood and asphodel in the first book to dittany in the last).   Many of these herbs were believed to have magical properties in the Middle Ages, so it's not surprising that witches and wizards might use them - for them, they really DO have magical properties.   Any references I make to herbs are based on traditional   usages, modern applications, and magical lore.   For example, the references to ingredients in the burn paste in the Potion Master chapter are derived from the formula for a Chinese herbal burn salve, and the ingredients listed in the so-called "calming potion" (which are also in O'Dwyer's capsules) are in fact common ingredients in herbal sleep aids.   I can testify to their efficacy in RL Muggle use.   I'd imagine they'd be even more effective for a wizard.

grendell posted a comment on Sunday 5th November 2006 10:25am for Things Are Seldom What They Seem

whowjust reading this story for the first time and I think your onto somthing here. also I cracked up when I read "Rincewind's Luggage Emporium" i meen diskwold is great and even the name makes me giggle. keep up the great work.
Grendell

Patches posted a comment on Monday 3rd July 2006 6:13pm for Things Are Seldom What They Seem

So Harry shares the prophesy with Ron and has terrible nightmares. At least Ron is starting to see a little of what Harry would like to avoid in his life. Thanks for writing. pms

dogbertcarroll posted a comment on Tuesday 4th October 2005 2:45am for Things Are Seldom What They Seem

Kudos on the Discworld reference.

I was hoping Arthur would end up giving Harry "The Talk". Drat.

Good chapter.