Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

Seren posted a comment on Saturday 5th July 2014 11:01pm for A House Divided

Like the story.

However you have it a bit wrong about the rapiers. Rapiers are sharp on both sides as well as a tip. A rapier set up for practice has steel guards hinged at tip which lock together at the tip. Typically practice rapier or one used for stage, re-enactors or fencing is an unsharpened blade, which while still pointed is about as sharp as a butter knife.

I am a Classical Fencer and the rapier happens to be my main weapon. I have two, a Scottish swept hilt rapier with a 36" blade that weights about 1.125 kilogram [2.2 pounds] and a 36" Italian rapier which is a little lighter at 0.9 kilogram [2.0 pounds]. My other weapons are the foil and epee like those used in Olympic/Sport fencing.

You are correct that a rapier can shred clothing quite well using the tip.

whydoyouhavetoknow posted a comment on Saturday 19th April 2014 5:53am for A House Divided

I approve of Harry saving Malfoy from Wednesday, however it is rather sad that Snape is a prejudiced little git.

DWA20 posted a comment on Tuesday 4th November 2008 4:25pm for A House Divided

I love the swordfight, however HP missed his chance, after cutting the "H" on the seat of Draco's pants he could have at least "marked" his bum with a little lightning bolt.

MUAHAHAHAHA...

Imagine Moldywart's face a few years down the road when he discovers that you can't mark an already marked individual. Willing? Well Draco DID agree to the duel -- he just didn't expect the outcome to go against him.

Cale posted a comment on Thursday 5th June 2008 8:17am for A House Divided

Ah, this is my single favorite chapter of this entire piece of marvel. The part where Gomez reveals the Potential Death Trap state is simply too good, and the bit where Malfoy offers Wednesday a future position and the ensuing Duel with Harry Potter's victory is Divine with the capital D! Please, can't we have some more?

Zarz posted a comment on Saturday 26th January 2008 5:19am for A House Divided

I just reviewed, but then something else occurred to me. On the train ride, Wednesday told Hermione, "It’s always better to say too little than too much. That way people underestimate you. Until it’s too late."

Who replied: "Why would you want someone to underestimate you? Do you want people to think you’re stupid?"

"I don’t care what people think, except for the teachers. And even they don’t need to know all of it."

Given that back-and-forth, I have to wonder how suspicious it is that in this chapter Malfoy thinks:

He’d decided to spend some time watching his targets, and noticed that while Potter seemed to be good at everything, and Pugsley Addams was strong and fast if not skilful, Wednesday was struggling in Charms and Transfiguration. It took her a long time and many tries to achieve her desired result, and often her Transfigurations were flawed, just good enough to pass. She spent a lot of time studying and writing, but Daphne had managed to get a look at some of the grades on her essays and saw that she was only pulling A’s. Clearly, she was not going to be a very powerful witch. And that made her a possible weak link.

Maybe Wednesday just isn't a very good witch, but my current theory is that it's rather suspicious that she's so successfully walking the line of just doing well enough to pass. I don't suppose she'll end up doing the best of all of them on the OWLS and NEWTS?

Great work on the story!

Songbird posted a comment on Sunday 10th June 2007 5:36am for A House Divided

Great fic. I adore the blending of the two fandoms and think that Harry Potter as an Addams is absolutely brilliant. The way Gomez has led the wizarding world into the Financial future, Morticia has intimidated Dumbledore into compliance, and the three kids are going to rule Hogwarts by the end of first year is awesome. I truly hope we get to see Wednesday and Pugsley's true strengths at some point (a small insurrection and explosion would be great). I love seeing Harry as a strong character and not the bumbling loveable Griffendor of JK's world. I would love to see Harry finally win Smape over into the reality that Harry is an Addams not a clone of James Potter, maybe then Snape could join the Addams side of the War.

Truly an exquisite work of Art and I eagerlly await your next installment.

vertru posted a comment on Saturday 9th June 2007 8:17am for A House Divided

Dorothy, I am still very impressed with this story, well except for the lack of updates (and yes I know that makes me a hypocrite -sue me). Your leaving a cliffhanger like this one reminds me of a guy I know who has left one hanging for a year now... er, not to mention any names or anything. Anyway, I really really like this story and how well you are developing the characters. Harry's line of working out the pecking order was classic. Having Remus teach history is a stroke of genius I may have to steal for a story I'm working on sporadically. keep up the good work, and I'll keep drooling for another chapter. *grin*

Vern

siri_black013 posted a comment on Friday 8th June 2007 1:20pm for A House Divided

I love this story ... except that I can't help but feel that Snape is not being Slytherin enough; the last chapter inspired some hope, so I'll look forward to Snape coming around to Harry. It's a matter of what is in Snape's best interests; obviously with the blackmail the Family has on Dumbledore, he won't be any sort of backer to Snape if he carries on and alienates Harry completely. Socially, as well, Harry is a force to be reckoned with, and with Morticia pushing for greater parental involvement at Hogwarts, Snape should not be seen to be ostracizing Harry or other non-Slytherin students; won't it look odd especially if Harry, Wednesday and Pugsley ace their OWLS when their Potions' record is so poor?

Ishtar replied:

Give Snape some time.   We're only two months into the first year, and he's behaving pretty much as he did in canon - with the added justification that this Harry really does act in ways that could confirm "arrogance" as Snape sees it.   Remember, Harry's entire background has changed, but Snape's hasn't.   He is what he is, and changes will take place going forward.   Some of what you cite (like the power of the Family over Dumbledore) is unknown to Snape; he cannot take that into consideration at this point.   The extent of Harry and Morticia's social manipulations  is likewise  unknown to most, although obvious to a reader.   The impact will start to  become evident shortly, and Snape will modify his behavior accordingly, but just because he's a Slytherin, that doesn't mean he can easily overlook grudges that have been stewing for twenty years or more.

amala posted a comment on Thursday 7th June 2007 10:10pm for A House Divided

I love it!!! This is tooo funny can't wait to read the rest keep up te great story.

johnbr posted a comment on Thursday 7th June 2007 6:42am for A House Divided

I found your story by pure happenstance and I'm real glad I did. I've not read a Harry Addams Story before and I believe that it is setting a high standard for what I will hope be a great genre. Now if only i could find a good Harry Potter Indiana Jones Crossover my day shall be complete. I've always wondered what would happen if in book seven, instead of fighting voldemort to the death, he instead imperio's a death eater to open the ark of the coveanent in Riddle's Head qauaters, or in the graveyard as riddle rises after the triwizard-tournament.

Ishtar replied:

I   submitted a drabble length bit to Crys's 1001 deaths of Lord Voldemort that had Tom Riddle, as a young man working for Borgin & Burke's, tracking the progress of an artifact that he very much desired ... and getting to it just as the lid was removed from the Ark of the Covenant.   I'd like to see a longer piece too.

MtthwDncn posted a comment on Thursday 7th June 2007 1:11am for A House Divided

I just read your story. I couldn't get enough of it. I read it as quick as I could and can't wait for you to get the next chapter out.

JamesPatrick posted a comment on Tuesday 5th June 2007 11:47pm for A House Divided

Just read the whole story. Can't wait for the next chapter. I really love this story.

Theres a lot of good Harry Potter stories but this has been fantastic the whole way through with no slow moments. I can't say enough about it. I really love this story. Keep it up.

daeshie posted a comment on Monday 4th June 2007 6:25am for A House Divided

Grah! I truly want to hurt Snape! Is anyone going to talk to him about the fact that he's a git! Harry gets hurt and he has to walk a few floors to the Infirmary. Malfoy gets hurt and "oh no! levitate!"
*Deep breaths*
Okay....i like your story so far except for the fact that i am getting increasingly frustrated over snape.
I practically fell over laughing at the image of Neville at the Addam's house.
Enjoying greatly!

Ishtar replied:

Remember that this is first year Snape.   He's been stewing in resentment for the past ten years or more.   He's still convinced that Harry is arrogant, and nothing Harry's done has disabused him of that notion - this Snape is even more convinced of it than Canon!Snape.   Plus, he's still kowtowing to the Malfoy family.   It's only been two months; that's not a long time for things to change.

Rest assured that he will, eventually, get what's coming to him.

Sphinxey posted a comment on Monday 4th June 2007 12:10am for A House Divided

This story is brilliant! I love the way you've managed to combine the fandoms and make it believable, and the way you treat Malfoy is perfect. Write more soon!

J posted a comment on Saturday 2nd June 2007 10:31pm for A House Divided

Abandoned..?

Cat Feral posted a comment on Friday 1st June 2007 3:25pm for A House Divided

Oh, my furry, pointy-eared God! I LOVE this chapter! If I tried to list all my favorite parts, this review would be longer than the chapter itself!

BTW, Draco isn't clear on what a Mistress is, but it seems pretty clear that Wednesday - and her brother and cousin - are. That's progressive education for you! ;-)

(Oh, but Ginny's going to be so sad when she gets to Hogwarts and discovers that Harry is already taken!)

*holds out hands, like Oliver Twist holding up his bowl* Please, Ma'am, I want some more!

Kail posted a comment on Friday 1st June 2007 5:45am for A House Divided

A great chapter indeed.

Just one nit - Gomez goes from having an unlit cheerot to puffing noxious smoke. He pulled it out, but he never lit it.

That said, the "duel" had me rolling. I was almost expecting Harry to start with the left hand and make a comment that he didn't even need to switch hands to his dominant, but I can't have everything. Waiting the next chapter eagerly!

Ishtar replied:

And you get a cookie!   That was NOT a mistake, that was deliberately done, and you're the first one that's commented on it!

An acquaintance of my husband's can actually do this ... she takes an unlit cigarette out of the package, waves it around while she talks, and then takes a puff -- without ever having lit it.   She denies using sleight of hand, and says she's always been able to do this.   It's just one of those weird things that happen in real life but most people try to ignore.   I thought it made sense to give some of those  little talents to the Addams Family (sort of like Morticia "smoking" without a cigarette and Fester making light bulbs light up in his mouth).   It establishes that yes, the Addamses have some magic.   Maybe not as much as Harry or Remus, but they do have some.

gadriam posted a comment on Thursday 31st May 2007 5:45am for A House Divided

All these times, when i've seen the summary of this fic and thought it too stupid to waste time on, and went to Bobmin's pompous and neverending ramblings instead. I can't believe it.

Well, now that i've come to my senses, and laughed myself senseless again, I am most certainly putting this enchanting tale on my top five list, and updates will henceforth be celebrated with a glass of the 24-year-old.

Thank you.

g

AchillesMonkey posted a comment on Thursday 31st May 2007 5:41am for A House Divided

Wow. This is really really really well written. I love how you keep close to JK's writing style, especially in the beginning of the fic. I really hope you update this story ASAP.

JVTazz posted a comment on Monday 28th May 2007 4:03pm for A House Divided

Wondering what's the status on the next chapter for Family Values? :)