Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

Ian Drimes posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 12:54pm for Quidditch

I love this fic. Keep up the good work!

Highschool Nerd posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 8:13am for Quidditch

Wonderful! Update soon! :)

Greg Johnson posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 7:50am for Quidditch

Great chapter! Can't wait for the next one. Keep up the good work.

wesley2 posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 7:41am for Quidditch

Great, I really love this story, and I’m glad you are posting again. Harry Potter/Addams Family is really a great crossover, and you have written it well.

I can hardly wait for the next chapter. I would also like to know, when Junior Year Abroad will be updated?

rodrigo2 posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 5:13am for Quidditch

LOVING IT! SIMPLY LOVING IT. KEEP WRITING THIS GREAT FIC. HOPE YOU UPDATE SOON.

Alorkin posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 4:46am for Quidditch

A funny interlude. "Hello! Welcome to parent's night. Oh,By the way, could you tell me how to dispose of a dead professor?"

I hadn't thought of the scoring like that. Harry's right. if the penalty shots didn't exist, the game would have been more decisive.

As always, I greedily await more. Alorkin

Katrina Carter posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 4:44am for Quidditch

Very nice!!!! I like the way you got Harry to explain things to Flint.... I wonder if they'll get the message in time before the next match....

Cheers and good job!

amulder posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 4:07am for Quidditch

Brilliant. Brilliant analysis of the Slytherin Quidditch strategy. Quickest way to get them to play fair, and most original thing I've seen in that area in all of Fandom.

Loved Madame Hooch also. You think nothing at all is going to happen, and then at the end of the class she reveals the fact that Yes, she DID expect you to be doing something!

I've sent links to a few of my non-HP-ff reading friends and they were very impressed by this. Thought you'd like to know, just to help counter that rude comment a few reviews back.

Best,
...art

Ishtar replied:

So far the score is "good workt" 50, "rude comment" 1, so I'm going to ignore it.   If I let that sort of comment bother me, the story would come to a screeching halt.   I can't please everybody, and primarily I write to please myself.   Don't know what sort of story the rude commenter is looking for, but I probably wouldn't like it.  

Thanks for recommending the story; I hope your friends continue to enjoy it.

curalium lacrimo posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 3:53am for Quidditch

Once again a wonderful chapter and i'm decidedly happy about the quick update, keep it up.

-Chia

that1 posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 1:15am for Quidditch

Another great chapter. keep it up! :-)

john2 posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 12:54am for Quidditch

A brilliant insight into game theory as applied to Quidditch - truly crime does not pay - at least with this scenario.

Ishtar replied:

Yep.   If you always do something the same way, sooner or later the opposition will find out a way to counter it.   Slytherin's been doing this for how many years now?   About time someone cottoned on.

Gullwhacker posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 12:45am for Quidditch

Enjoyable chapters, both of them. I should really write a proper review, but I never was that good at critique. Instead, I'll note a couple of things that caught my eye.

Loved Uncle Fester's line about incinerating people.

Lighting a cigar while it's still in the pocket? Neat trick. Gomez says that he can do the same thing - how much magic /do/ the Addams have, I wonder?

Final thought for now - when Harry mentions killing Quirrel, and is asked why, it's neat to see where priorities lie.

"He was holding Wednesday hostage," said Harry.

"And he was going to feed Hermione to a huge dog, and use us to trip booby-traps," said Pugsley.

"He had Voldemort on the back of his head," said Wednesday.



Harry? Cares about Wednesday, first and foremost. Pugsley? Hermione. Oh, and that Quirrel was planning to kill the rest of them, too. Wednesday brings up Voldemort being there almost as an afterthought. The Family comes first, I see...

Anyway. Enjoyed the chapter a lot.

Alex00 posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 12:16am for Quidditch

Great work.

MercuryBlue posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 11:27pm for Quidditch

Rapid updates! Yay!

Let's see, Malfoy getting detention, the mini Marauder's Maps, (one place it says Lupin where it should probably say Remus), flushing Quirrell away, of course the kids are going after the Stone anyway, Harry's attitude towards the fouls...hard to say what I liked best. Also, Harry's and Morticia's attitude towards the school food is highly amusing.

Meteoricshipyards posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 11:21pm for Quidditch

Love Dumbledore's reactions. Hope that the Parents Association-teacher meeting gets some air play.

"I didn't learn that trick until I was fifteen."
LOL.

"Right. If you’re going to incinerate people, it should always be on purpose," said Uncle Fester. "Trust me, I know."
A perfect Fester line.

The "so many canines" had me confused until I remembered the Addams' cartoons. I still see John Austin as Gomez.

Nice Quidditch match. Not too long (it's a boring game to read about), and you certainly had me guessing what Wednesday was asked to do.

Nice story. Lots of fun. Thanks for creating it.

Tom A.

Quizer posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 11:00pm for Quidditch

Love this chapter. Again, there are many small things that add up to combine this story into the greatly enjoyable experience it is: Dumbledore pondering the Parent's Association and Minerva's ironic comment, Harry explaining the reason for Muggle cleaning to Ron, the encounter between Gomez and the Grangers...

I love the part where they dealt with Quirrel's remains. Harry stating 'I killed him' in that flat way was hilarious, as well as Gomez giving him a cigar. One can really see his Addams upbringing in his behavior.

I also like that Harry and co. aren't fooled by Remus' flimsy explanation and I'm looking forward to them looking into it. In fact, I have to wonder why Remus himself bought it. As a long-time prankster, is he overestimating the power of booby traps? I guess it is the unknown nature of the different 'bits' the teachers added to the defense of the stone, as well as the fact that Quirrell had been stopped before actually entering the gauntlet.

Liked the Quidditch match, too. You succeeded well in showing a typical Quidditch game from a Slytherin angle and making it a novel experience. I like the fact that Harry pointed out that foul play is actually a foolish strategy, and how he refused to play if this continues.

I really like the 'Gryffies' designation that you came up with. It is a great, mockingly cutesy way to mock their rival house.

Looking forward to the next chapter! Keep up the good work!


Quizer

uthamm posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 10:52pm for Quidditch

Your dialogue & narrative is GOLDEN. Classic, repeatable lines:
"starting a feud with one of the most influential families in Britain was not a Good Idea." Love the empasis on Good Idea.


""Right. If you’re going to incinerate people, it should always be on purpose," said Uncle Fester. "Trust me, I know." & "And Azkaban, while it has a rather bracing climate, is no place for a growing boy" Good thing I wasn't drinking anything!

I also like the characterization of the kids willing to go to authority figures they trust. Great job on a really fun story. It is on my re-read list when I need a laugh.

Jeremy DuCharme posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 9:53pm for Quidditch

Hmm, never saw a logical explanation for Snape requiring elbow grease and manual labor for his cleanups. Most seem to chalk it up to his being a sadist and/or his disdain (from his First Years Speech) for 'silly wand waving'. Though given how impressive the results might be, I'm surprised the Weasley Twins haven't tried it. Or is it they don't have that much of a death wish?

And Harry continues to sell Malfoy not just the rope to hang himself with, but the lumber to build the gallows. :) Why attack your enemy, when you can simply stand aside and let him run over the cliff himself? Though for Defense which side did Hermione land on, cool or ew?

Interesting, the bigoted thoughts of Dumbledore. Muggleborns are alright, because they are magical, or like the rest of the PTA is he more upset by the breaking of traditions for Family Night than the fact that some of the families are Muggle?

McGonagall, the latest Addams Family ally? Is she more receptive due to how they took in Remus, or just younger and more willing to look at changes that Dumbledore might reject simply because they are changes? *snickers* Figure Remus as a Muggle Studies Professor would come up with magical 'You are Here' maps.

Okay, I suspect proper diet and nutrition suddenly got added to the HPTA's Sunday meeting agenda. And worked into the traditional 'embarrassment of the children by their parents, and *that's* where Hermione gets her obsessive curiosity from' you drop an interesting tidbit. Gomez has extra canine teeth? Maybe there is some lycanthrope blood in the Addams Family Genetic Cauldron? Perhaps one of the reasons they sponsored the Reserves?

Addams Etiquette, when one kills an SOB who had it coming, make sure to clean up and properly dispose of the body afterwards.

Looks like the Four Addamsteers are going down the hatch later this year, maybe after a second thief? I'm betting Remus's trap will be as nearly vexing to a pureblood as Snapes. He's the Muggle Studies Professor, maybe like Snape the trap requires you to out think it and know how the Muggle World works?

The Quidditch Match. Well Harry got to take to the air, but then chewed out his Captain not for cheating, but being stupid about it. That tack might keep Snape from skinning him, "We are supposed to be cunning, not stupid thugs."

For examples of bending the rules, or at least cunningly using the loopholes and opposing player reactions I wonder, in Quidditch would barreling a Wonski (sp?)Feint through the enemy Chasers be a foul, or would they have to give way since the Seekers are apparently in pursuit of the Snitch and everyone else must give way? Or even if it was would they scatter thinking there was a Snitch being chased and wanted to avoid the foul if they impeded the enemy Seeker?

Ishtar replied:

The only time we see Snape using a wand to clean up a potions mess is when it's an emergency, as it was in the first class when Neville's cauldron melted and the potion ran all over everything.   The rest of the time, cleaning is done by hand, and I just came up with a logical reason for it.   The Twins prefer to have at least some idea what will happen - they're crazy, not stupid.

Hermione was ew, definitely ew.   Can you see her passing up a chance to research something?

Dumbledore has his own comfort zone.   He's willing to associate with Muggles on his own terms, is fond of some of the things they make, and can function (sort of) in the Muggle world when he chooses to.   Muggles on his turf, questioning things he's accepted for over a hundred years, are definitely out of his comfort zone.

Remus is teaching Magical History, not Muggle Studies.   The "you are here" maps are a less complex version of the Marauder's map.

Gomez has a mouthful of sharp teeth in the cartoons.   Extra canines is one way of looking at it.  

Crys posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 9:22pm for Quidditch

> but the very fact that she’d been there was worrying.
He WANTS to keep the House boundries up? Not much of a progressive, is he?

> "Right. If you’re going to incinerate people, it should always be on purpose," said Uncle Fester. "Trust me, I know."
Coming from anyone other than an Addams, that comment would be humorous and unbelievable. Coming from him, OtOH . . .

Good analysis, Harry.

Ishtar replied:

For all of the Sorting Hat's exhortations to school unity in canon, DD doesn't do anything to encourage it.   At some very deep level, he believes in House boundaries.

dogbertcarroll posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 9:19pm for Quidditch

I see DD is a bit of a racist himself. He only approves
of 'magic' people. It makes his stand on the DDs getting
'second chances' a lot clearer. They mostly kill muggles
above and beyond anyone else, so if they could be convinced
to leave the muggle born alone then he'd probably be a
lot happier. I wonder if part of it is being of gypsy blood.
Outsiders really aren't welcome in most clans.

-"Two-faced, eh? In that case, he needed killing.
-Congratulations, Harry!" said Uncle Gomez, handing Harry a cigar.

*snicker*

A sensible view.

-"Not bad," said Uncle Gomez, as Harry plucked the cigar out of
-his pocket before it could burn his shirt. "I didn’t master
-that trick until I was fifteen."

A little wandless-tricks skill I see. Not as all encompassing
as typical mage skills, but useful all the same.

I wonder what they'll do with the rock when they get it? I wonder
if Flammel is a cousin?

Playing Quiditch fair because it's actually easier to win that way
probably never occurred to the Slytherins before.

Excellent chapter.

Ishtar replied:

DD likes things orderly.   Everybody is neatly allocated into their own places.   Muggles over there, wizards over here, and if wizards are somehow born to Muggles, we must get them into the wizarding world where they belong.   Muggle parents in the hallowed halls of Hogwarts itself is deeply disturbing to him.

It's clear through the Addams TV show and movies that the Addamses have minor, possibly magical, talents.   I decided that this is one of Gomez's.   (My DH has seen someone do this very thing with a cigarette in RL, so it's not too much of a stretch, I think.)