Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

booster-t posted a comment on Saturday 1st August 2015 12:57pm

You know, the more I rea dof this, the more I love it. You've c aptured the characters rerally well. I'm looking forward to Hemione's reaction when Sherlock is revealed as Harry. Mount Vesuvius will be nothing in comparison!

One thing though. Why hasn't anyone picked up on the fact that Sherlock was able to use Harry's rune array? Shouldn't that be limited to just Harry?

Ishtar replied:

Sherlock ran the labyrinth inward, putting energy in. Hermione ran the labyrinth outward, taking magic out ('Strength to my friends' - he made it accessible to other people to borrow his magic) which she promptly had to use somehow. When Sherlock later confirms to her tht he ran it, he lets her believe he ran it outwards as well, so she believes that magic jumpstarted breaking the block on Sherlock's magic. She does not yet know Sherlock can put magic into it as well as taking magic out of it.

Jason Karr posted a comment on Saturday 1st August 2015 12:56pm

looking forward to next chapter.

Lee Dickie posted a comment on Saturday 1st August 2015 7:57am

Another cracking good chapter, this time I especially liked your Sherlock's analysis of Harry's room.

Well done & thank you.

DrT posted a comment on Saturday 1st August 2015 4:02am

Sorry, Sherlock missed 4 houses? If they were all under the Fidelius, how would even Hermione know about them all? (so I wonder if her list of 41 includes all 37 of Sherlock's?) And the fact there are 'lost house' groups is hardly surprising; there mush be a large number of 'squibs' who are 'muggle born' -- not connected to the magical world in any way but with enough magic to ignore muggle-repelling wards etc.

Funny that without the horcrux, Harry/Sherlock looks more like his maternal grandmother's family (a Black) than James Potter . . . or Tom Riddle

Ishtar replied:

Not all of them are under the Fidelius - that's actually a fairly rare charm. What the Missing Houses have is a combination of Unplottability, Notice-Me-Not, Muggle-Repelling and probably other charms that result in them not being seen by most people. Sherlock has tracked them down by noticing the inconsistencies that most people don't, then looking up old records, information about the installation of gas and electric services, sewer connections, and so on. The four he missed are among the ones he wrote off as having been destroyed by bombing during WWII.

As for the missing houses elsewhere, I swear that there is a street in New York City that is there sometimes and sometimes it isn't - it's called "Iffin Court", and if that isn't a Wizard name, I don't know what is. In the town where I lived as a teenager, there was one massive Addams-Family style Victorian in a street full of 1950's split ranches that I could find accidentally, but if I went looking for it, it wasn't there. So I think there would be people researching them and sharing data, just as there are 'abandoned places' aficionados.

As for Sherlock's looks, there are reasons, and not just because I'm using Benedict Cumberbatch's face for Sherlock ...

mykakal posted a comment on Saturday 1st August 2015 1:20am

Wonderful story

motor18 posted a comment on Friday 31st July 2015 11:01pm

Sorry must of missed that chapter or section never mind.

motor18 posted a comment on Friday 31st July 2015 9:28pm

I'm confused. What's with "He wondered how much of Harry had been retained at an unconscious level."?

Joe Fenton posted a comment on Friday 31st July 2015 8:29pm

Hmm - does England have roads where the houses are sequential in number on one side? I would think #12 would be bracketed by #10 and #14, not #11 and #13. I'm not English, nor ever been there, so I couldn't say, but here in the US, I've never seen that. It's always even houses on one side, and odd houses on the other. You see that in most fanfics, so not seeing it here makes me wonder.

Hoping to see Sherlock doing his schtick on the memories next time! :)

Ishtar replied:

Grimmauld Place is described as a "small square" in OotP, and 12 Grimmauld is bracketed by 11 and 13, so that's HP canon. If it was a regular street, yes, it would be even on one side and odd on the other, but it's a dead-end where the houses are numbered in sequence clockwise around it.

The relevant quote from OotP is: "Harry thought, and no sooner had he reached the part about number twelve, Grimmauld Place, than a battered door emerged out of nowhere between numbers eleven and thirteen, followed swiftly by dirty walls and grimy windows."

From the description of Grimmauld Place in OotP, it was a pretty nasty place, but that area of London has gone upscale in twenty years and it's much nicer now.

Amamama posted a comment on Wednesday 29th July 2015 10:33pm

Oooh! Gods, I love this story. And Sherlock!Harry's brilliant, sharp mind. So, his magic was bound - as an infant? How did he then manage to do what he did while he was Harry? Or is it that Ducky only assumes it happened in his infancy, and it actually happened that day Harry disappeared? That his own magic bound itself as a protective measure? Though I do find that a bit strange, too, because why would it? Or was it a mashup of the two? Did Dumbledore bind his magic when he handed Harry over to the Dursleys, and was this a binding that was supposed to wear off gradually after the age of 11, but his accidental apparition sort of reignited those bindings and made them stronger?

I guess I could just get back to the beginning of the story to check the dates, but the Anniversary - is this the day Harry disappeared?

So, seriously love this. Brilliant crossover!

Ishtar replied:

The infant adoption and binding is Ducky's assumption, and Sherlock and John simply didn't disabuse him of the notion. Everything that happened in HP canon up to the first chapter of OotP happened here, but instead of sending dementors on August 2, 1995, Umbridge tried something (a bit) more subtle - and of course everything changed afterwards.

keichan2 posted a comment on Wednesday 29th July 2015 5:34am

"now neither camera is covering it" Nice! I wonder how long it took them to make this, and how many obliviations there were during…

"bound his magic to suppress it so deeply he doesn’t even register as a squib" Oh? I thought it was just an obliviation…

"the release happened a few days to a few weeks ago" When Sherlock activated the labyrinth! (edit: was right! :-D)

"Sherlock had to agree; he suspected his own record, if he had Ducky do this, would be far from pretty." Yes… And would out him immediately! Hermione knows enough to recognize the place the basilisk bit him, among others…

"I wrote it myself." Bwahahahahaha!

"Safe as Houses: An Analysis of Extraordinary Survival Strategies at Hogwarts" Bwahahahahaha! Excellent! :-D (I will confess that I looked for a corresponding ridiculous acronym… ;-p)

Thanks for the new chapter!

I hope to read more soon!

Tenchifew posted a comment on Tuesday 28th July 2015 8:38am

Another great chapter!

Truly a unique take on the story.

Interesting idea to have made John a squib.

Looking forward to see the next chapter.

Thank you for writing.

Jack-A-Roe posted a comment on Sunday 26th July 2015 5:06pm

It's been a long while since I found a story with such an interesting premise as this one.

I think you are doing a fine job of showing Sherlock's observations of things without over doing it. That is delicate balance that you are succeeding at.

I'm actually looking forward to Sherlock revealing himself to Hermione (or her figuring it out) to see how you do it.

Thanks for writing!

Pamela St Vines posted a comment on Sunday 26th July 2015 4:36am

I just stumbled on this and will be eagerly awaiting future installments. Brilliant concept to have Sherlock be Harry (or vice versa) and brilliantly executed. Thank you.

Jonathan Langford posted a comment on Saturday 25th July 2015 3:40pm

Oh, my. I wonder if they're going to finish this trip into the wizarding world without revealing Sherlock's "true identity"...

Lots of interesting information reveals in this chapter. I liked it!

Luan Mao posted a comment on Saturday 25th July 2015 12:24pm

Enjoying it so far. Not much else to say. No obvious oopses, no egregious typos to point out.

Micky0077 posted a comment on Saturday 25th July 2015 9:10am

Once again, a very good chapter. Lot's talked about and revealed, without anything REALLY being revealed. I'm almost twitchy in my seat as I read them skirting the edge of finding out stuff we (as the readers) know but they don't. Was waiting for that stone to reveal the clue Hermione needed, and then it all gets explained away as something "relatively" mediocre instead. It occurs to me that it's a bit ironic that all or most of the clues are there to point out who Sherlock is, but it might be the only one who could see the links is Sherlock himself... Hermione is too logical to see the connections yet.

I like the bit about the CCTV warning system. Makes perfect sense of how the Magical world could still hide themselves in this age of constantly being watched by cameras.

Ishtar replied:

For all that the government CCTV system seems ubiquitous, it really only focuses on the main streets, places where there are expensive stores and houses and restaurants, etc. Once you get into the back alleys and lower-class neighborhoods, there's far less coverage. In rural areas, there's virtually none. And those are exactly the areas where wizards tend to live. So while there's coverage of Charing Cross Road and King's Cross and Baker Street is lit up like a Christmas tree, there probably isn't any coverage at all on Grimmauld Place or that ratty street where St. Mungo's is or in Ottery St. Catchpole, and the placement of some cameras was probably nudged to avoid the Ministry phone box. So the wizards can still go about their lives, they just have to be a bit more careful in certain areas.

Lee Dickie posted a comment on Saturday 25th July 2015 8:56am

Another well written and insightful look into the altered path of the wizrding world.

DrT posted a comment on Saturday 25th July 2015 2:52am

Yet another excellent, interesting chapter. Lookout Sherlock, that rabbit hole will likely extend even deeper or end too soon! I wonder if Dobby would recongize 'the Great Harry Potter', especially since the bindings are breaking down....

As usual, looking forward to the next chapter

siaru posted a comment on Friday 24th July 2015 7:23pm

This just keeps getting better and better, with more supporting richness laid on... And I've never seen the modern Sherlock, only the old stuff plus a few Xovr fics, and I can follow it. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Joe Fenton posted a comment on Friday 24th July 2015 4:52pm

Still coming along rather well. It'll be interesting to learn more about the block and when it happened. All we saw originally was just the obliviate cast in the first chapter.