Content Harry Potter Sherlock

Reviews

Rorschach's Blot posted a comment on Saturday 30th June 2007 11:30pm

First time I've seen the idea with the penalty shots, interesting.

Cat Feral posted a comment on Saturday 30th June 2007 3:45pm

The big golem only knew a few words


Golem! That would explain Lurch! nobody ever really has, before.

"You seem very relaxed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you smile like that. And that’s a very handsome suit. Is that … Remus Lupin, are you wearing an earring?"


"Wait till I get you home, young man!" ;-)

"I’m their tutor," Remus answered wryly. "They won’t love me when I give them their next pop quiz, I’ll tell you that."


Hee-hee! Good one!

"Well, with six different kinds of weres in the United States, we need specialists."


Six?? Hubba-whah? I hope we're going to here more about that! (And a reserve for werewolves sounds like a sensible and humane solution that the rest of the worl

d should have adopted long since! (Makes me proud to be an American!)

"Oh, the usual," Mrs Addams said, counting on her fingers. "Enchantments, Transmogrification, Jinxes and Hexes. Brews. History. Herbalism. Then they’ve each taken electives, of course. Harry has Cryptozoology and Numerology. Pugsley has Numerology and Symbology. And Wednesday has Cryptozoology and Divination."


Hmm... I would like to know more. Of course, I would think that Trans-mog-rification would be right up Minerva's alley! (sorry, couldn't resist.)

"Aunt Morticia, I thought we had agreed I would be going to Hogwarts after all."

"Of course, dear. But they don’t know that. And as long as they’re not sure of it, they’ll give us almost anything we want to entice you to go. Once you’re there, we’ll have less influence, since there will probably be a contract which won’t allow us to pull you out."

"That’s beautiful," said Harry admiringly.

"Watch and learn, Harry. Watch and learn."


"... and we've already reserved your spot in Slytherin, my dear."

As for your presentation of Dumbledore, it seems clear that you're one of those who's lost a major amount of faith in the old guy over the last couple of books. I can understand where you're coming from, but I suspect you're exagerating the case a little. *pauses to repeat to self: "It's only a story. It's only a story..."*

Anyway, Great story, great chapter, and all around... it's all GRRRREAT!!!

Ishtar replied:

Yes, it explains Lurch to a tee.   And Lurch's presence as a golem says some things about the Addams family as well.   (I don't think he was made by an Addams; they probably took him in the way they took in Thing.)

The Americas have the advantage of having a lot of empty space to make reserves.   Europe's a little more crowded.   And just about every ethnic group has its own version of were-beasts, so I figured they brought them along when they came to the U.S.

The subjects at Salem are alternate versions (maybe a little twisted) of the Hogwarts curriculum.   Numerology, for example, is the equivalent of Arithmancy.   Symbology starts with Runes and goes on to ritual development.   Transmogrification is a variant on Transfiguration (with the possibility of Animagus training as a class subject!)

And yes, given the last couple of books, I'm afraid I see two choices in interpreting Dumbledore's actions: either he's incompetent or he's manipulative (though not necessarily evil - being a control freak is bad enough).   This Dumbledore is a bit of both, and it's necessary  for story purposes  to provide conflict.   The Ministry doesn't play a large enough role in that regard to carry the story by itself.

buddamacca posted a comment on Saturday 30th June 2007 12:47pm

Symbology - i'm sure the word your looking for is symbolisim !

Ishtar replied:

And I'm sure you're wrong.   Look up "symbology."

Susan posted a comment on Monday 25th June 2007 6:38am

This is such a wonderful story. I check it every week or so in hope of reading more. Harry taking out Quirrel so early in the year was unexpected and an interesting twist seeing as no one but his family and Remus know. I look forward to seeing what happens next!

TxA_GunFighter posted a comment on Monday 25th June 2007 6:30am

Very good chapter.

gunny

Krysania posted a comment on Monday 25th June 2007 3:09am

What a story please don't stop writing

Scorpio posted a comment on Saturday 23rd June 2007 11:48am

[... "Right. If you’re going to incinerate people, it should always be on purpose," said Uncle Fester. "Trust me, I know." ...]

The Voice of Experience

[... Uncle Gomez nodded agreement. "Smoke your cigar as long as you’ve got it lit. It’s good for you." ...]

Good Advice from a Trusted Adult


*giggles* love this story...

Scorpio

DreamRed posted a comment on Friday 22nd June 2007 10:51pm

Nice chapter, as always. Not to mention that it's good to see the updates picking up. Got worried for awhile there it'd been abandoned. The disposing of Quirrel was quite excellent.

busted posted a comment on Friday 22nd June 2007 9:13am

I love this story i cant wait for the rest of it. I like the Addams familys fierce loyalty to each other. Im looking forward to Harry and Wednesday acting like a couple and showing more affection to each other.
When I first saw harry was going to Slytherin I was disapointed that Ron and Hermione were not going to be together with him. But it has definately made the story more interesting and I like the fact that harry still gets to spend time with hermione. Hopefully soon Ron will spend more time with them aswell.

Anyway you have done and excellent job writting this and I look forward to what is to come.. :D

Adam posted a comment on Thursday 21st June 2007 4:42am

You have a good story here, I like the way you have written harry and the Addams family. it is a lot of fun.

Now that I have found this will definately be keeping an eye open for the next chapter :)

Natalie posted a comment on Monday 18th June 2007 7:27pm

Oh wow. This is a fantastic story! I'd never though I'd find a HPxAddams Family crossover. Especially one thats well written. Love the characterizations of the characters. Good Snape IMO, you're keeping him cannon well. :)

Jack-A-Roe posted a comment on Monday 18th June 2007 4:29am

Another fine chapter. I thought you did a good job in this chapter of getting some of Gomez's humor to come across. Timing is everything.

Why do you paint Dumbledore as anti-muggle?

Having Harry threatening to quit was great. It just shows that it's not that important to him to be on the team if they aren't going to try and play correctly.

Ishtar replied:

Dumbledore is pureblooded and old.   He isn't anti-Muggle per se, but he does have a certain sense that Muggles and Wizards move in different worlds, and Muggles should stay in theirs.   Muggle-born wizards should be encouraged to become part of the wizarding world.   While there are things about the Muggle world that Dumbledore appreciates (like sherbet lemons), he wants to be able to take or leave Muggle things at his option and not have them intrude on Hogwarts, which is in a very real sense his personal space.   Having Muggles arrive at Hogwarts is pushing him way beyond his comfort level.   And it's bringing to the fore something even he wasn't aware of to this point.

la13 posted a comment on Monday 18th June 2007 3:33am

These last two updates have been a lot of fun to read! The way Harry dealt with Quirrell was really interesting to me—I liked that you thought he’d wait to have his family handle it. I also really liked his disgust with the cheating because it was costing them points!

Disobedience posted a comment on Sunday 17th June 2007 10:06am

Just stumbled across this story. It really is pretty wonderful! Excellent job. I have a beautiful volume of Charles Addams cartoons and I've loved the Addams family for a long time. HP and Addams work surprisingly well together, excellent crossover!

belladonnacordial posted a comment on Sunday 17th June 2007 4:24am

Hurray for real Slytherins! I loved the bit where Gomez hands Harry a cigar. The 'flush him down the john' solution made me laugh too. Am loving your every word and looking forward to more. Brava!

canoncansodoff posted a comment on Saturday 16th June 2007 11:03am

This has been a very enjoyable story. I never was a big fan of the TV show as a kid (more of a Munsters viewer, for some reason), but you've done a great job of explaining the Family as squibs (except for the kids, of course).

Too much to hope that a Jersey Devil will make an appearence now that they're in Scotland? I lived in Ocean City for a year, and have been through the Barrens a few times.

Neil Glover posted a comment on Saturday 16th June 2007 2:54am

Great story, i look forward to the next chapter

Ahappyjtm posted a comment on Friday 15th June 2007 3:12pm

Hi I just want to drop you a note about how much I have enjoyed reading this fic. I hope that you update soon, I would love to see what happens at the 'PTA' meeting. I mean if Bumbles has a headache now.... I was just LOL at several points through this story, your descriptions of the actions of some of the charchaters, like Malfoy Sr. at the bank was just spot on mate. Thank you agian. Ahappyjtm

ladyimmortal posted a comment on Friday 15th June 2007 1:37pm

YAY! AN UPDATE!

Not that I'm excited or anything.

Wouldn't want it to go to your head <GG>.

--Lady I

Rei posted a comment on Friday 15th June 2007 10:59am

I love you!!!! Can I chain you up in my room, please! I promise I feed you and clean you. And give you plenty a space to run free. And you can even have friends over!!! Party every day!.....As long as you leave me chappies!

Ishtar replied:

I think my husband would have something to say about this ...